Saturday, March 20, 2021

Hill Country Climbing

 

My husband and I can't remember WHY we decided to reserve passes into two different state parks during Spring Break, but we had been planning on this getaway for a month or 2, so we went forward with the plan.  Honestly, we probably planned for the parks getaway as we're still in a pandemic, although things seem to be slowing down. Not in a GREAT place, but slowing down. Since there's still transmission, the past pandemic year, I have sought my fun in our great state parks. Outdoors is a better place to be than indoors! So, to the Hill Country we drove. 

The first park we had reserved was Enchanted Rock State Natural Area. Enchanted Rock is one of those places that is on the list of things all Texans should do. Or something like that. Although we attended UT- Austin, we had never gotten out to the Rock. We lacked time, money, or transportation during college, so never got there.  Our son actually had visited Enchanted Rock with his Scout troop previously, but we hadn't accompanied them. He wasn't looking forward to a repeat visit, but we forced him to.  #parenting 

We arrived at the park at about 4 PM. Our passes were for 4- 8 PM, so perfect timing.  We picked up our permit and parked by the trail head. There are many trails to hike in this area, but climbing the dome- the actual Enchanted Rock is the big one. 



I knew that the trail was marked as "challenging" and that it is a steep climb. I am a 45 year old, always out of shape woman who is a member of the sloth hiking team. But I have a desire to do things in front of my kids, so I went forward. My son kept saying it was a boring hike, and that it was steep, but we were there. We'd driven 4 hours; it was time to hike! 

The beginning of the trail is kind of boring. The dome itself is pretty impressive. It's odd to see this rising from the landscape in the hill country. Looks more like something you'd see in Colorado. So, that intrigued me from the start. There are some rocky areas, stair type climbs. 



The above are culled from Google Images.  I had to rest a LOT. I think I stopped 3 times on the way up. The smooth steepness challenged me. I was more than halfway up when I started to have those thoughts: WHY am I doing this? what's the point? Why am I working hard to climb up here- what will it give me? I really don't subscribe to the "because it's there" ideology. My son had scampered up ahead of us and was nowhere to be seen. My husband, oh, my sweet, sweet husband was going slowly with me. At this point, I was thinking about resting and heading back down, but husband said: you're almost there.  I was feeling like I would just turn around, but then I saw a trail staggering down this dome face. There are pools created in this special type of stone. I could see a path in the stone, most likely created by water flow. The pools were totally dry. Seeing that staggered path made me think if water can find a way, maybe so can I. So I walked up to this trail I saw. I followed it up. The holes allowed me a place to put my walking stick, and the path led me up parallel, not perpendicularly up the face. It probably wasn't the most direct path up, but it worked for me. I went very slowly.

And again, my sweet, sweet husband followed along with me, allowing me to take it at my pace. This moment made me think about our life journey. I rarely do things like everyone else would. I always make choices that other people seem to question/judge/lament. I've learned to just do me, and I've learned to just do and stop asking for opinions/thoughts from the peanut gallery.  And since our coupling, my husband has been the most faithful supporter in my corner. Most times, his support is just like the hike up Enchanted Rock: silent- no judgements, no thoughts, just the knowledge that he's with me, allowing me to try it my way. So, I followed this overlooked path up the dome. I was still tired. I told husband to go on up without me because I was done. I had made it 98% of the way up, and was satisfied with that. I could see the top. I didn't need to make it to 100% to feel victorious.  I sat and rested while husband went all the way to the top.  The way down was slow, but the time of day allowed for some beautiful pictures to be taken. 

Enchanted Rock had been completed. I can take it off the to-do list. Now on to other places where I'll most likely get it done in my own way. 






No comments:

Post a Comment